Dr. Schechter's Dental Discussion
Posts for: July, 2018
Dental implants are a restorative procedure that beautifies your smile and restrengthens your jawbone. Your dentist in Milford, CT, Dr. Bruce Schechter.
Your dentist is here to help and advise you!
Dental Implants in Milford
If you're suffering from tooth loss, it's vital to deal with this problem as soon as possible. Tooth loss may lead to serious issues like bone deterioration.
The dental implant procedure consists of the following a local anesthetic being applied to the necessary area. Your dentist then extracts remnants of old teeth left and drills into the jawbone to insert a titanium post, a biocompatible material that isn't rejected by the body's tissue.
The doctor surgically closes the area and allows it to heal for a period of 3 to 6 months, while the process of osseointegration takes its full course. The titanium post that acts as the new tooth root needs to fuse with the rest of the bone. When you return, your Milford dentist will re-open the area, insert an abutment and place a crown over the abutment that matches the rest of your teeth.
Dental Implant Advantages
Dental implants have several advantages. Here are a few:
- Implants have a high success rate compared to other dental restorations.
- They can last a lifetime if cared for properly.
- You won't have to worry about being able to bite into and chew your favorite foods.
- They provide your jawbone with the support it needs so that it doesn't shrink.
- Dental implants look natural and can give you a beautiful smile.
- They are used to fill a single gap in your teeth, a few gaps, or all of your teeth.
- They don't slip out of place like dentures, which makes them comfortable and practical.
If you have questions or concerns, Dr. Bruce Schechter can help you out. Call his office, located in Milford, CT, at (203) 878-1787 to make an appointment today!