Dr. Schechter's Dental Discussion
Not that long ago, many people were resigned to the fact that they would inevitably lose some of their teeth as they grew older. Today, however, it is totally possible to maintain a full, healthy smile thanks to preventive care! Read on to learn how our Milford, CT, dentist, Dr. Brian Bae, offers family dentistry services that will help you protect and maintain your smile through the years.
Preventive care helps you avoid cavities and gum disease
Thorough, regular brushing and flossing is the key to preventing tooth decay. Plaque, a sticky, colorless film, constantly collects on your teeth. When you take a bite of bread or indulge a piece of candy, the sugars in these foods combine with the bacteria in plaque to create acids that damage your tooth enamel.
If you don't practice good oral hygiene, those acids can eventually cause cavities. Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day removes plaque on and between teeth and reduces your cavity risk.
The American Dental Association recommends brushing for at least two minutes for best results. It's also important to use a toothpaste that contains fluoride, an ingredient that can remineralize areas of tooth enamel weakened by acids.
Making oral hygiene a priority may also help you reduce your gum disease risk. Plaque eventually turns into a hard deposit called tartar if it remains on your teeth for as little as 10 days. Tartar is a factor in gum disease and can only be removed with special instruments during a dental cleaning.
Regular dental visits are an important aspect of preventive care
Do you visit your Milford family dentist every six months? Regular visits offer several benefits, including:
- Teeth Cleaning: During your visit, you'll receive a thorough cleaning to remove plaque, tartar, and surface stains.
- Early Identification of Cavities: Large cavities aren't just painful, they also cause significant damage to your teeth. In fact, you're more likely to need a crown to strengthen and protect your filled tooth if you've had a large cavity. When you schedule checkups every six months, your dentist can diagnose and treat cavities when they're small and haven't caused much damage yet.
- Detection of Other Oral Health Issues: During your checkup, your dentist will also look for other issues that can affect your oral health, such as cracks in teeth, dying roots, gum disease, or signs of oral cancer.
Is it time to schedule your next family dentistry checkup? If so, call your Milford, CT, dentist, Dr. Brian Bae, at (203) 878-1787 to make your appointment!
Gum disease is an oral health condition that affects millions of adult Americans. According to CDC Statistics, over 64 million adults have some form of gum disease. It is more common in seniors, but patients as young as teenagers can also struggle with it. If you want to fight gum disease, get help from Dr. Bruce Schechter at his family and cosmetic dentist office in Milford, CT.
What Causes Gum Disease?
Gum disease has a variety of possible causes including poor hygiene, diet, and the regularity of your dental visits. One reason why it is so prevalent is that patients don’t always take proper preventative precautions to minimize the chance of an infection. These are some of the most common causes of gum disease:
- Plaque buildup from not flossing regularly.
- Not brushing daily to remove excess food particles after eating.
- A family history of periodontitis.
Fighting Gum Disease
You can fight gum disease by understanding the possible causes, making changes to your oral care habits, and seeing Dr. Schechter more often. The first step is recognizing the signs of this condition, so that you can have it treated by your Milford, CT, dentist before it turns into advanced periodontitis. Signs to look for are gum bleeding, separation of the gums from the teeth, bad breath, and loosening of the teeth.
Preventing Gum Disease
To successfully fight gum disease, you should take it a step further and take preventive measures after you’re treated. Here are a few simple ways that you can prevent problems with gum disease in the future:
- Floss excess food from your teeth after you eat to minimize the chance that it will attract bad bacteria. Lack of regular flossing is a main cause of gum disease.
- See your dentist for deep cleanings and checkups every six months.
If you have one or more signs of gum disease, go to the family and cosmetic dentist practice of Dr. Schechter in Milford, CT, to get it diagnosed and treated. Call (203) 878-1787 today to schedule an appointment!
Regular visits to your family dentist provide a simple way to protect your family's smiles. Your Milford, CT, dentist, Dr. Bruce Schechter, offers a variety of dental service and procedures that will improve your oral health.
What are the advantages of visiting a family dentist?
Family dentists treat dental issues that arise at any age, unlike other dentists that may specialize in treating a particular age group. Although "fillings" or "cleanings" may be the first words that spring to mind when you think of dentists, family dentists do in-fact offer many more services.
Your family dentist can help you:
- Keep Your Teeth Healthy: Do you visit the dentist every six months? Regular visits allow your dentist to spot cavities and other dental issues while they're still small and easier to treat. Checkups also include cleanings that remove cavity-causing plaque and tartar from your mouth, which helps decrease your chances for tooth decay and gum disease risk. During checkups, your dentist can also apply sealants that prevent cavities in your child's pre-molars and molars.
- Enhance the Appearance of Your Smile: Your family dentist offers treatments that repair damage and improve the way your teeth look. If you have a broken tooth, a crown may be recommended, while a porcelain veneer or bonding can take care of a small chip. If your teeth aren't as white as you'd like, teeth whitening or veneers can transform your smile.
- Restore Missing Teeth: Missing teeth affect your appearance and hamper your ability to chew easily. Luckily, your family dentist offers several restoration options that will fill the gaps in your smile, including bridges, dentures, and dental implants.
Family dentists offer one-stop convenience for busy families. When everyone in your home visits the same dentist, you can schedule a group checkup with back-to-back appointments.
Are your kids apprehensive during healthcare visits? Your Milford dentist understands that visits can be a little scary for very young patients will accordingly take the time to explain the checkup process in words that your child understands. As a parent, you serve as a role model for your child even while at the dental office. If your son or daughter sees that you're comfortable during your checkup, they may also be more likely to relax and cooperate.
Isn't it time you switched to a family dentist? Call your Milford, CT, dentist, Dr. Bruce Schechter, at (203) 878-1787 to schedule an appointment.
How teeth whitening from your dentist in Milford, CT, can give you a brilliant smile
Are you living with a dull, dark, uninteresting smile because of aging or coffee stains? If so, it’s time to improve your smile with professional teeth whitening! Dr. Bruce R. Schechter in Milford, CT, offers teeth whitening treatments that are quick, effective, and fit in with your lifestyle.
More on Teeth Whitening
It’s common to seek out over-the-counter methods when your smile needs brightening, but these methods aren’t as effective, and they may even be unsafe. Many of these products contain abrasive chemicals which can make your teeth sensitive over time and produce disappointing and short-lived results.
Professional teeth whitening is different, and offers many advantages that can’t be matched by over-the-counter products. When you choose professional whitening, you can count on:
- Effectiveness, because professional whitening can whiten your smile up to 8 shades
- Quick treatment, because the in-office treatment takes only about an hour
- Safe results, because the products have been rigorously tested and approved by the ADA
- Long-term brilliance, because your results can last up to 5 years
Professional teeth whitening also costs far less than other cosmetic dental services, making it one of the most popular, most effective cosmetic dental services available.
Dr. Schechter offers two highly-effective teeth whitening services, each with its own benefits. You can choose from:
- In-office whitening, which only takes about an hour; the quick turn-around of in-office whitening makes it an excellent choice if you want to whiten your smile quickly, just in time for an important event coming up.
- Take-home whitening, which comes in the form of a kit containing whitening gel and custom trays; this is a great choice if you want to whiten at your own pace, in the privacy and convenience of your home.
If your smile is suffering, it’s time to improve it with professional teeth whitening! You can achieve your best smile quickly and easily. Get started by calling (203) 878-1787 for Dr. Bruce R. Schechter in Milford, CT, today!
How your dentist in Milford, Connecticut can brighten your smile quickly
If your smile needs a little help, why not consider a teeth whitening treatment? The truth is, professional teeth whitening has become the go-to solution for a more beautiful smile. It’s quick, easy, and provides amazing results. Dr. Bruce Schechter in Milford, Connecticut offers teeth whitening to give you a smile you can be proud of.
Teeth whitening can give you the confidence you need and a smile you will love. Just consider that a professional teeth whitening treatment provides:
- Dramatically beautiful results, because you can whiten your smile up to 8 shades
- Long-lasting effectiveness, because your white smile can stay beautiful up to 5 years after treatment
- Rapid results, because the in-office treatment can give you a gorgeous smile in as little as one hour
- Convenience, because you can also whiten your teeth at home
Dr. Schechter provides two whitening methods, each with its own benefits and advantages. You can choose from:
In-office whitening, which takes about an hour and can be done in one appointment; in-office whitening is an excellent choice if you need a beautiful, white smile quickly. The whitening process can even be done on a lunch hour. It’s a great option if you have a special event coming up soon and you want to look your best.
At-home whitening, which comes in the form of a kit containing whitening solution, custom trays, and instructions so you can whiten your smile in the privacy of your home; this method is perfect for you if you want the convenience of being able to whiten at your own pace, whenever you want.
To view amazing before and after photos of Dr. Schechter’s patients, please visit the Gallery Page on the website at https://www.brsdds.com/gallery.html
If you need to restore your confidence, there’s nothing as effective as a dazzling, white smile. You can have a renewed smile more quickly and easily than you have ever imagined. Get started on your new, beautiful smile by calling Dr. Bruce Schechter in Milford, Connecticut and ask about teeth whitening. Call today and get the brilliant smile you deserve!
This website includes materials that are protected by copyright, or other proprietary rights. Transmission or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use, as defined in the copyright laws, requires the written permission of the copyright owners.